Date(s) - 19/08/2018
7:00 am - 12:00 pm
Terwillegar Rec Centre - Edmonton
This event offers distances that will test all ages and abilities!.
|Until December 31||Until May 15||Until July 22||Until August 17|
|Tri it Triathlon (Ages 12+)||$75||$85||$95||$105|
|Kids of Steel||$45||$50||$55||$60|
|Kids of Steel||$80||$90||$100||$110|
*fees DO NOT include GST or online transaction fees
*Registration closes Thursday August 17
*ENTRIES RECIEVED ON/AFTER August 1 ARE NOT GUARANTEED TSHIRTS OR SIZING.
Terwillegar Community Rec Centre is located at 2051 Leger Road in Edmonton.
There is ample parking at the Terwillegar Communtiy Rec Centre.
Please follow the directions of the volunteers upon arrival.
- RACE MORNING ONLY!
Bike check not required.
Race Day August 19th – Sunday
- 6:30am- 7:20am Transition Opens, Check-in, Body marking, and package pickup
- Pre-race briefing 5 minutes prior to your wave start
- 7:30am TRI IT DISTANCE START (Open to ages 12+)
- 7:45am SPRINT DISTANCE STARTS!
- 8:45am – Kids Transition opens
- ~9:15am – KIDS OF STEEL RACES
- 10:00am-11:00am Post-race munchies & draw prizes on site
** Note: ALL ADULT Athletes must be checked into transition by 7:00am to ensure there is no conjestion in the transition area.
** KIDS OF STEEL (KOS) race day checkin
-Please be cautious when arriving as adults will be racing on the course.
|Wave 1 & 2 – Tri it
|7:30am||*Wave 5 –
KOS Ages 7 & Under
|Wave 3 & 4 – Sprint
|7:45am||Wave 6 –
KOS Ages 8-9
* wave 6 will not start until all wave 5 athletes are off the bike
|Wave 7 – KOS Ages 10-11||~9:35am|
*NOTE – KOS races will not start until all sprint and tri it athletes are off the bike course.
Sprint Distance: 700m Try it Distance: 300m
KIDS OF STEEL: Under 7yrs =50m | 8-9 Yrs = 100m | 10-11Yrs = 150m
SWIM HEAT LIST – posted the week of the event
* if you do not see yourself listed, you may have registered after we compiled the list. Please just arrive on deck for the appropriate start.
The same applies if you need to change swim times – just be on deck for the appropriate time.
The swim course will take place in the Terwillegar Rec Centre (50m). We will start 4 athletes per lane and you will complete either 7 laps/14 lengths (Sprint Distance), or 3 laps/6lengths (Tri it Distance) of the pool. As each athlete completes their swim, we will place another swimmer in to fill the empty spot. The wave starts are estimated start times. Please ensure you are in the pool awaiting your start well in advance of the suggested times. Swim caps are provided in your race kits.
KIDS OF STEEL – Parents be at ease! Your child can use floatation devices! We are all about inclusion, a great experience and HAVING FUN!
• All athletes must wear the swim cap and timing chip/band provided race morning.
• Ensure you start in the appropriate heat. As each athlete enters the water, we will start the next athlete.
• Lifeguards will patrol the pool should you require assistance.
• You may use any stroke that makes you comfortable, however no floatation devices can be used.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO COUNT YOUR LAPS. VOLUNTEERS WILL DO SO AS A COURTESY, BUT CAN MAKE MISTAKES WITH THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THEY HAVE TO COUNT FOR.
Sprint = 22Km (4 laps) | Tri It = 12Km (2 laps)
Athletes will exit transition Northeast along Leger Way to Carter Crest Road. Athletes turn right to Rabbit Hill Road and then Right again heading south to 23rd Ave. Turning west (right) athletes will follow 23rd ave and turn right (north) onto Terwillegar Drive. Athletes follow Terwillegar Dr. to Rabbit Hill Rd. Turning Right, athletes will follow Rabbit Hill Road back to Carter Crest Rd to begin the next lap.
* we have 1 lane closure throughout the course. Police will manage all major intersections. We have complete and partial road closures along Leger Way and Carter Crest Rd, but this is a residential neighbourhood – please be cautious at all times.
No MP3 players allowed – nothing in your ears!
- Riders must wear ANSI approved helmets that are fastened for the entire race.
- Participants may use road or mountain bikes.
- All bike repairs are done by cyclists only.
- Portable music players are not permitted.
- The practice of drafting behind cyclists is illegal.
- The Edmonton Police Service will control traffic and monitor safety at all major intersections.
- Course Marshals will direct competitors and assist with traffic control.
KIDS OF STEEL DETAILS
Under 7yrs = 1km(1 lap) | 8-9 Yrs = 2km(2 laps) | 10-11Yrs = 4km (4 laps)
The Kids of Steel Triathlon route will be on a closed course on Leger Road.
Exiting transition to the north of the facility, KOS athletes will ride east along Leger Rd to the Turnaround and then follow it west to the other turnaround and either return to finish (U7 & 8-9 age groups) or complete the next lap.
Sprint = 5Km (2 lap) | Tri It = 2.5Km (1 lap)
The run will head out of transition and cross Leger Road onto the sidewalk and follow it eastward to access the paved pathway. Athletes will turn follow the pathway to the west and then turn south just before the footbridge. Follow the path to the turnaround point and then make a right turn on the path just north of the parking lot. Cross the road and run on the sidewalk back towards the finish/lap area.
Sprint athletes complete 2 laps.
Please be sure you drink lots of fluids on the bike course, as well as take advantage of the aid station on the run course for each lap. The weather can be unpredictable so please dress appropriately.
Volunteers will be on hand to marshal the course and signage will indicate turns etc
Please wear your race number on the front of your jersey/t-shirt (no bare chests allowed).
Under 7yrs = 500m(1 lap) | 8-9 Yrs = 1km(1 laps) | 10-11Yrs = 2km (4 laps)
Athletes will exit transition on the sidewalk and head west. 7&Under kids turnaround at the 250m mark. All others continue to the 500m mark and return to lap/finish.
U7 athletes will do 1 lap(at 250m mark), 8-9yr olds will do 2 full laps and 10-11yr olds will do 4 laps.
This is the area where everything takes place and in highly competitive races, the place where a race can be won or lost!
Please place your bike and equipment and, once settled, look around to ‘site’ your location. What are you next to? What does your towel look like? What rack/row/line are you in? A good idea is to set up your area, leaving transition and then walk towards your bike when coming from the pool.
*NOTE: Transition will remain open once the race starts, but please stay next to your bike to avoid collisions with athletes that are currently racing.
**NOTE: Please have only what you will be racing with placed by your bike. No large bags, buckets or bins are allowed next to your bike.
*Kids of Steel Parents – Parents can assist in transition for the 7&Under age group. For the other age groups, the child must be on their own in transition.
THE FINISH LINE
After passing the finish line please move forward 200 meters. Just past the finish, you will find fruit, muffins & more! We will provide warm and cool drink.
Our medical services will also be available here.
DISTRIBUTION OF PRIZES
We will have finisher medals for all participants. No age group medals to be provided at this event.
Unfortunately we have no draw prizing this year.
Results will be posted onsite as they are updated and official results will be posted on our website within 24hours of the event.
CHARITY AND FUNDRAISING
Details to follow
Please support our event sponsors!