Date(s) - 31/05/2020
6:00 am - 1:00 pm
Race with us in the longest running Triathlon in Alberta!
2020 will celebrate the 36th annual event!
Are you ready?!
|Until October 31||Until December 31||Until March 31||Until May 25|
|Standard Distance Triathlon||$85||$100||$115||$130|
|Youth/Junior Draft Legal Triathlon||$75||$80||$85||$100|
|Tri-it Triathlon (Ages 12+)||$75||$100||$115||$130|
|Kids of Steel Triathlon||$45||$50||$55||$60|
*fees DO NOT include GST or online transaction fees
*ENTRIES RECIEVED ON/AFTER MAY 10 ARE NOT GUARANTEED TSHIRTS OR SIZING.
- To participate in our event you must be a member of a provincial Triathlon association (TriBC, Alberta Triathlon, etc).
- You must enter your membership number when registering.
- If you are not a member, you must add the ‘Day Insurance’ fee to your membership.
When you have purchased your insurance, add it to your registration by clicking below and selecting the Coronation Triathlon and editing your registration details.
- We will be cross-referencing all inputted information. If an inputted number is invalid, you will not be allowed to participant unless you:
- display your valid membership number at package pickup
- pay the day fee at package pickup.
- Not a member yet? Become a member of TriathlonAlberta Now
Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre in Coronation Park
13808 – 111 Avenue, Edmonton
PARKING for Competitors and visitors arranged at Westmount Shopping Centre, the surrounding residential area and Woodcroft Community League
No parking at Peter Hemingway Fitness & Leisure Centre on race day.
NO Parking overnight at Peter Hemingway Fitness & Leisure Centre on Saturday, May 30 (vehicles will be towed).
NO PARKING AT TELUS WORLD OF SCIENCE – VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED BY THE CENTRE
Please arrive early to avoid congestion. Access to the shopping centre off of Groat Road will be available until 6:30am only.
Friday, May 29 5:00pm-8:00pm UNITED SPORT (7620 Gateway Blvd NW, Edmonton)
* Athlete shopping nite!
Saturday, May 30 10:00am-3:00pm UNITED SPORT (address above)
A complimentary bike check will take place at United Sport & Cycle during the week leading up to the event. United Sport & Cycle’s Main Store is conveniently centrally located at 7620 Gateway Blvd NW in Edmonton. Their quality mechanics will do a simple check to ensure your bike is ready for competition, and make any minor adjustments you may need before the event. Major bike tune-ups are also available and are subject to bike shop pricing.
In addition to United Sport & Cycle’s Main Store Central (7620 Gateway Blvd NW), participants can also bring their bike to United Sport & Cycle’s new Community Store West (10846 170 Street NW ) for a complimentary bike check.
Please note that the package pickups will only be available at the United Sport & Cycle’s Main Store Central (7620 Gateway Blvd NW), and that only the Main Store Central (7620 Gateway Blvd NW) has triathlon bikes, wetsuits, and triathlon suits available.
An optional information session for participants will be held at Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre:
13808 –111 Avenue
Saturday, May 30
3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Race Day May 31st – Sunday
5:45 am Transition Zone opens
Body Marking begins outside the pool
6:45 am Transition Closes for all adult participants
7:00 am Race starts
WAVE 1 – Youth(ages 14-15) and Junior Elite (ages 16-19) Draft Legal
WAVE 2 – Youth (ages 12-13) -non drafting
Wave 3 – TEAMS will be the first heat with ‘standard distance’ swimmers over 30mins.
Last waves to start are the Tri It Distance
Timing Chips and Swim caps are handed out on deck at swim check-in
7:15 am Duathlon Start: next to the run exit of transition. Timing chips handed out at your startline.
~11am ** Last Adult heat enters the water
10:00 am Kids of Steel Transition Opens
Body marking & Chip Pickup will occur on the pool deck prior to each race start
~11:30 am Kids of Steel Race Starts
Wave 1 start – 7 & Under
Wave 2 start – Ages 10-11
Wave 3 start – Ages 8-9
1:00 pm Courses Closed
** Note: ALL ADULT Athletes must be checked into transition by 6:45am to ensure there is no congestion in the transition area.
** as we are going on a continuous feed for the swim, the above times are estimates only.
*** THERE WILL BE NO AGE GROUP AWARDS THIS YEAR. AWARDS WILL BE GIFT CARDS PROVIDED BY UNITED SPORT. WE WILL CONTACT PARTICIPANTS AFTER THE EVENT AND THEY WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AT THE STORE FOR PICKUP.
POST RACE MASSAGE!
Add it to your registration and avoid lineups!
COURSE AND EVENT DETAILSTHE SWIM
Standard Distance: 1000m Youth (12/13): 300m Junior Draft Legal(14/15 & 16-19): 500m Try it Distance: 500m
The swim course will take place in the Peter Hemingway Pool (50m). We will start 5 athletes per lane and you will complete either 10 laps/20 lengths (Standard Distance), or 5 laps/10 lengths (Tri it Distance) of the pool. As each athlete completes their swim, we will place another swimmer in to fill the empty spot. The wave starts are estimated start times. Please ensure you are in the pool awaiting your start well in advance of the suggested times. Swim caps are provided in your race kits.
Volunteers will be on hand to count your laps and will put a flutter-board in the water when you have 2 Lengths(1 lap) remaining. Athletes are asked that if they are feeling any trouble or difficulty during the swim portion to either raise their hand and a lifeguard will be there to assist you within seconds.
• Always swim on the Right side of the lane. If you are going to get passed (or going to pass) wait until the end of the lap and stay to the right…let the faster swimmer pass on your left.
• All athletes must wear the swim cap and timing chip/band provided race morning.
• Ensure you start in the appropriate heat. As each athlete enters the water, we will start the next athlete.
• Lifeguards will patrol the pool should you require assistance.
• You may use any stroke that makes you comfortable, however no floatation devices can be used.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO COUNT YOUR LAPS. VOLUNTEERS WILL DO SO AS A COURTESY, BUT CAN MAKE MISTAKES WITH THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THEY HAVE TO COUNT FOR.
We are going on a rolling start system for all athletes, thereby 5-6 athletes in each lane, once one person has finished, the next will start in that lane. This saves time in the pool, as well as allows a continuous feed of athletes throughout the course. The waves listed in this package list ‘suggested’ start times, however please be prepared and ready. Announcements will be made indicating the next wave start in the pool (ex: Next wave #4, please make your way to the pool deck to be checked in).
You are responsible to be onsite to hear these announcements.
|Wave #||Swim Time||Estimated Start Time||Grouping|
|JR ELITE||07:00||JR ELITE DISTANCE|
|YOUTH NON DRAFTING||07:10||YOUTH DISTANCE|
|1||Teams & 30+ min||07:20||Standard Distance|
|5||23-26 min||08:20||Standard Distance|
|6||23-26 min||08:45||Standard Distance|
|7||23-26 min||09:10||Standard Distance|
|8||19-22 min||09:35||Standard Distance|
|9||19-22 min||10:00||Standard Distance|
|10||19-22 min||10:20||Standard Distance|
|11||16-18 min||10:45||Standard Distance|
|12||11+ min & TEAMS||11:00||Tri it Distance|
|13||11+ min & 8-10 min||11:10||Tri it Distance|
|14||Under 8 min||11:20||Tri it Distance|
|KOS||11:45||KIDS OF STEEL|
KIDS OF STEEL SWIM
7& UNDER 8-9 YEARS 10-11 YEARS
1 Length (50m) 2 Lengths (100m) 3 Lengths (150m)
The swim course will take place in the Peter Hemingway Pool (50m). We will start a maximum of 4 athletes per lane. Flotation devices are allowed (not provided) for the 7&under category.
*NOTE – We will not start the next age group until they have completed the swim and are well into their bike.
SWIM TRAINING? Are you planning on doing some swim training at the Peter Hemingway Pool? Riding your bike there? If so, please note that bicycles ARE NOT allowed inside the building. They must be locked up in the designated areas outside the pool.
Standard Distance & Duathlon: 26km (4 loops)
Try it Distance: 13km (2 loops)
Youth and Junior Draft Legal: 6.5km (1 loop)
Both sides of Groat Road will be closed to the traffic for the cycle component.
Exiting from transition, athletes will head south on 135st. Turn East on 111ave then south on Groat Road. Follow Groat Road and take the River Valley Road exit.
Cycle under the Groat Road Bridge and just past the crosswalk where athletes will make a sharp left heading back up to the bridge and back in to the Groat Road heading north. Follow Groat Road up to 111 Ave.
Just prior to 111ave there will be signage, pylons and volunteers indicating where you are to ‘lap’ or ‘finish’.
• When lapping, stay to the left and make a 180° turn, heading back down Groat road on the same route.
• When finishing, stay to the right and turn onto 111 ave, returning to the finish.
IMPORTANT: POTHOLES AND CRACKS WILL BE FILLED FOR THE RACE BUT IT IS IMPORTANT TO STILL WATCH FOR ROAD HAZARDS ON THE COURSE. THE BEST ROUTE IS IN THE CENTRE OF EITHER LANE AWAY FROM THE CENTRE LINE AND CURBS.
- Riders must wear ANSI approved helmets that are fastened for the entire race.
- Participants may use road or mountain bikes.
- All bike repairs are done by cyclists only.
- Portable music players are not permitted.
- The practice of drafting behind cyclists is illegal.
- The Edmonton Police Service will control traffic and monitor safety at all major intersections.
- Course Marshals will direct competitors and assist with traffic control.
KIDS OF STEEL DETAILS
|7& UNDER – Map||8-9 YEARS – Map||10-11 YEARS – Map|
- Come out of the transition zone, head south on 135 St
- Turn west on 111 Ave
- Turn east on 111 Ave at 142 St
- 7 & under – follow 111 Ave east to 135 St, then return to finish
- 8+ years – go past 135 St and turn around at Groat Road. Make a 180 degree turn and head back on the same route.
- At the end of the last lap: Turn right on 135 St to enter back into the transition zone
Standard Distance & Duathlon(first lap): 8km – map
Try it Distance & Duathlon(second lap): 4km (1/2 lap) – map
Youth and Junior Draft Legal: 2km – map
The run travels along Groat Road, then onto the sidewalk/paved trail after 107 Ave, and toward the Mackinnon Ravine. There is a 180° turnaround on the trail at the 4 kilometre mark for the standard distance. The Try It distance turnaround is at the 107 ave water station.
- Escort runners are not allowed.
- Portable music players are not permitted.
- The route will be marked with directional arrows,pylons, and volunteers will assist in directing competitors
There are 2 water stations on the run course offering water and sports drink.
• 107th Avenue
• Government House Park/run turnaround
Kids of Steel Run
|7& UNDER – Map||8-9 YEARS – Map||10-11 YEARS – Map|
- Come out of the transition zone, head south on the sidewalk next to the school
- Turn west(Right) on 111 Ave sidewalk
- Turn north (Right) off the sidewalk towards the Telus World of Science
- 7 & under/ 8-9yr – follow the pylons and volunteers to the finish
- 10-11 years – turn east (Right) at the volunteer point and follow the grass trail behind the pool to join onto the run lap point through transition to begin your next lap
- At the end of the last lap: Continue north on the sidewalk to the finish!
This is the area where everything takes place and in highly competitive races, the place where a race can be won or lost!
Please place your bike and equipment and, once settled, look around to ‘site’ your location. What are you next to? What does your towel look like? What rack/row/line are you in? A good idea is to set up your area, leaving transition and then walk towards your bike when coming from the pool.
*NOTE: Transition will remain open once the race starts, but please stay next to your bike to avoid collisions with athletes that are currently racing.
**NOTE: Please have only what you will be racing with placed by your bike. No large bags, buckets or bins are allowed next to your bike.
CHARITY AND FUNDRAISING
|Raise $250||receive a Free $25 United Sport Gift Card!|
|Raise $500||receive a Free $55 United Sport Gift Card!|
|Raise $750||receive a Free $85 United Sport Gift Card!|
|Raise $1000+||receive a Free $125 United Sport Gift Card!|
** online donations will be live until May 31. Prizing will be made available mid June.
Please donate and/or setup your fundraising page when registering.
Please support our event sponsors!